May 9, 2013 - Rhubarb Time

Mr. Granny and I have been trying to eat lighter and healthier meals these past few months, but that doesn't mean we will be giving up all those finer things (for us) in life.....like rhubarb pies in the spring!  We are mainly practicing portion control, which means I weigh and/or measure nearly everything and stick quite strictly to the amount per serving.  Last week I replaced my usual 9" pie plate with a 6", which gives us four slices of pie rather than 8.  That way we don't rush to eat an entire large pie while it's still fresh.  (Since last November, I've lost nearly 30 pounds, 2 more than the 28 I was aiming for.  Mr. Granny has lost just over 30 pounds, and has just 5 to go!).

I picked what I thought would equal two cups of sliced rhubarb, but the 7.1 ounces was a bit short so I added two more stalks.  That was 10.3 ounces total, a bit more than I really needed, but I made a really full pie.  I think 9 ounces would have been perfect.

I used my regular Rhubarb Custard Pie recipe, but made a single crust pastry recipe and cut the other ingredients in half (I beat the egg and measured out 2 Tbsp.).  To lighten it up a bit, I used two parts regular sugar to one part Splenda.  I also left off the cinnamon sugar topping, which made a rather pale pie.  I think the next one will have the cinnamon sugar added. 

A nice little 6", 4-serving pie for tonight's (and tomorrow night's) dinner!  I'll let you all know how it tastes.

**YIKES!  I just entered this recipe in my nutrition program.  This is for 1/4 (one serving) of the mini-pie.  I won't be eating rhubarb pie often! (PDA is my Personal Daily Allowance).



16 comments:

  1. I bet it tastes fantastic. :-) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie, I have to sit here and look at it for another 6 hours....unless I give in and eat it for lunch!

      Delete
  2. It looks delicious, Granny! Your rhubarb is so red, do you know what variety it is? Mine is mostly green with streaks of red. I know that rush to eat the pie while it's fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been making strawberry rhubarb crisp with frozen strawberries from last year. Yum rhubarb is delicious. I also make smaller portions than I used to. I use a a recipe that calls for a cup of each fruit (though I defrost the strawberries first which probably means there are really more of them as they mush down a little). Isn't rhubarb season wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, I love rhubarb, and it's very low in calories. My next pie will have only a bottom crust and a crispy topping, or no bottom crust and a pastry topping. Or I'll do the rhubarb strawberry crisp that we loved last spring. I have to get those fat calories down!

      Delete
  4. Great job on your weight loss!!!
    I agree-it's kind of a surprise just how much calories are in pie, but I have started at looking at it this way----enjoy EVERYTHING life has to offer....in moderation. I think you're off to a great start. And how often is it rhubarb season. Enjoy!
    (strawberry pie is up next, isn't it????? That's MY downfall!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, strawberry pie has to be my favorite, and it looks like I'm going to have loads of berries this year. I guess I'd better lose a couple more pounds so I can indulge when the time comes, LOL!

      Delete
  5. Well, that's why it's dessert. . .

    Looks great and I know portion control is a really big deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefaneener, I'll just follow it up with a few low calorie chopped salads ;-)

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure I have ever had Rhubarb pie. That is great to see you and Mr.Granny did so well with changing your eating habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's very good, Cloud. I think rhubarb is an acquired taste, and I don't like eating it very often. A little goes a long way with me, but I sure do like to indulge in those first few spring harvests!

      Delete
  7. The best Pie-For-Healthy-Eating solution I've come across is doing a nut crust. Butter, sugar substitute (like Truvia baking blend), and ground nuts. Very low carb, the nuts are high in fat and calories, but also high in protein and nutrients. Then just top it off with your streusel topping. It at least cuts down on the empty white flour carbs. :) Good luck with the diet change, I hope it goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anywhere, I think I'm going to try an oil crust (I use a mild tasting Mediterranean blend) with white whole wheat flour and butter, then use the streusel topping, also with white whole wheat. I'm not too concerned with the carb content, as long as they're healthy complex carbs.

      Delete
    2. oh, i like the streusel topping. i think i will try it with straight granola, thrown on near the end of baking so it doesn't sink. thanks for all the good ideas.

      Delete
    3. Granola as (or in) the topping is a great idea, Donna! I'm not as concerned about the calories, but I sure would like to make a healthier version that still tastes as good. I will have to pick the rhubarb again this week, so I'll work on it!

      Delete